Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Roasted Lemon Purée


































I found this recipe in a book at Exclusive Books on one of their sales and I was like NO WAY I’ve totally never heard of this dude Michael Psilakis but Google tells me he’s kind of a Greek god so I whisper to the book ‘I’m busting you out of here!’ and then I stand in a queue for 20 minutes and pay for the book using my store card because you get a discount.

Then I got some lemons from my parents because they’re always giving me lemons because they have a lemon tree which I quite dig and anyway this time was no different so I’m like yeah those bitches are going DOWN (the lemons not my parents).

Okay here’s the recipe, it’s the Jones on lamb chops, but remember you have to use the dimpled bumpy lemons that you NEVER see in shops I’m sorry but you’ll know them when you see them because you’ll get the overwhelming urge to cut them with a knife, cut them real good.























Roasted Lemon Purée

4 scrubbed lemons (scrubbing removes any wax on the lemons)
about 1/3 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sugar
Cracked black pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C. Roll each lemon in aluminum foil. Place on top of a mound of salt with the seam side down. Roast until packages are soft — about 1 and a half hours. Allow to cool. Cut the lemons in half and scoop out the roasted flesh into a sieve (removing any seeds). Using a spoon, scrap the white pith off the remaining lemon peel. Discard the pith and chop the remaining lemon peel.

In a food processor, combine the chopped zest, strained flesh and juice, mustard and garlic. Process into a smooth puree. Add the olive oil through the feed tube. Taste for sweetness and seasoning. Add any salt, sugar or pepper needed.

4 comments:

  1. This post could be alternatively titled:

    "When The People Who Gave You Life Give You Lemons."

    Anyway, this is a FAB idea and I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is a WAY better title! Are you a journalist by any chance??

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds fab new to me hope your well

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator