Thursday, August 11, 2011

Spaghetti recipe for retards



I love food. Love it.

‘Well duh,’ I hear you say, but bear with me.

The thing is, even though I own a teetering pile of cookbooks, and have perused hundreds, nay, thousands of online recipes over the years, I still draw a blank when considering what to have for dinner on week nights.

The only explanation I can come up with is that, at the end of a busy work day, my poor brain just balks at having to make one more decision, especially if my livelihood is not dependent on the outcome.

Even after discovering this fabulous list of easy meals in under 10 minutes on the New York Times website, I was still feeling uninspired last night, so I decided to ask the Oracle: Twitter.

The feedback was immediate, and immediately inspiring. I asked for an unusual spaghetti sauce and got the following: this rocket and anchovy pasta from @Dr_Rousseau; mascarpone, lemon zest and finely chopped mint from @SoniaCabano2; puttanesca from @fredhatman; prawns with spinach, garlic, lemon zest and chilli from @TheFoodRoom; and lemon zest, olive oil and garlic from Tara_L_B. Thank you all for coming to my rescue.

However, it was this suggestion from @Enigmeg that I decided on. I went to Woolies intent on buying mascarpone, lemons and mint, but realised I couldn’t stop thinking about oozy, unctuous grilled Camembert.

This, people, is an infallible pasta recipe. If you can boil pasta and operate the grill in your oven, you can make this. In 20 minutes.

It’s stupidly easy, gorgeously rich and silky, and tastes as good as it sounds. The only risk is that you might get arrested by Weight Watchers.


Spaghetti with roasted Camembert and cherry tomatoes

All you need, for two, is enough spaghetti (about 300g), Camembert (2 wheels, tops trimmed off and set in foil), cherry tomatoes (about 500g), and rosemary (about four sprigs, leaves picked and chopped).

Plonk the tomatoes and Camembert in an oven tray, sprinkle with rosemary, drizzle with olive oil and grill until the cheese is bubbling and the tomatoes are ever so slightly charred, about 10 minutes.

In the meantime, cook the pasta in lots of salted boiling water and drain, reserving a little of the cooking liquid. Return pasta to the pot, spoon over the molten Camembert and scrape over the rosemary and tomatoes. Season to taste.


Mix it all up, adding some of the cooking water to get it nice and silken, then stick a forkful in your mouth, and sigh.

Supper, sorted.

3 comments:

  1. I can so relate to the weeknight supper conundrum! Why is it so difficult??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spaghetti since I was a child. My mom always cooks me, my brothers and my sister whenever it's our birthday or other special occasions that needs celebrating. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Now I can cook for my mom.

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator