Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Amazing avocado sauce



This is a natty little sauce that is super-tasty and fool-proof/ lobotomy-friendly — I know you will fall in love with it. It was created one evening as I was concocting a makeshift salsa verde-cum-gremolata to go with some pan-fried rib-eye steak. I only had parsley, capers and anchovies, though, so I was going to make do with that, but then I spied half an avo at the back of the fridge, and (insert New Year's Eve fireworks and popping Champagne corks here) a star of a sauce was born.

It has all the punchy flavour of salsa verda, but the avo gives it a creamy, saucy quality that holds everything together beautifully... It also improves the texture. The trick is to chop everything up as finely as you can (you could use a food processor, but I think good ol' elbow grease and a sharp knife get a better texture).

Apart from being ridiculously easy to make, this sauce is amazingly versatile. You can take it in any direction you like by adding one or more of the following: chilli, garlic, lemon juice/zest, basil, and/or very finely diced red onion for a salsa-type effect.

Of course, it's only as good as the ingredients you use — I'm a fan of the bottled anchovies from Woolies, but tinned are even better; watery avo won't work for this, you want the creamy variety; capers... buy the best you can afford.

The sauce is unbelievable smeared over a seared, bloody fillet (particularly with some buttered ciabatta slices and this minty tomato salad with balsamic dressing), but it's also gorgeous on bruschetta as a starter, or tossed with al dente linguini and chopped tomato.


What do you think?

Is it as good for you as it is for me? 


Amazing avocado sauce

2 large handfuls (about 60g) flatleaf parsley
6 anchovy fillets
1 cup capers, drained
1 medium/large avocado, mashed

Finely chop the flatleaf parsley, then the anchovy fillets, then the capers. Then chop everything together so it's well-combined. Add to the avocado, mix well and serve.

This makes enough to smear generously over four seared fillets, or mix in with enough pasta for four people (about 450g linguini).


PS: Do please take a moment to nominate me for the 2010 SA Blog Awards in the Best Food and Wine Blog category (click on the widget on the top right). You know, if you think I should win ... or if you've got nothing better to do. I'd be much obliged.

25 comments:

  1. I *have* fallen in love. There are times when I wish I wasn't a vegetarian. This sauce is one of them. Shall try it sans the fishies. That briny cup of capers will make me salivate, anyway. ; }

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....I so love anything with avocados in it! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! Great minds must think alike; I just posted an avocado dressing, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great combination! That sauce must be lovely!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a great sauce love the fish in here YUM

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure looks amazing! WHat a colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so much parsley in my garden and 2 avo's which are rapidly reaching the use by date - I love these combinations. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks incredible! Won't it discolour because of the avos though?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds absolutely amazing - I am a sucker for anything with anchovies and capers in it! can ingaine it would really liven up a good steak..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marisa: It depends on the kind of avo you use, but it shouldn't discolour - it's the kind of sauce you have to serve immediately, though. I wouldn't keep it in the fridge for more than an hour...
    Robyn
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. it was just the other day that my husband was saying how he loved avocado dips...i have never tried making them, mayb i should give this recipe a go and surprise him :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sauce is now memorized in my culinary recipe files; I love the simplicity and the ingredients.
    Will click on to nominate you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it! The invention of a new sauce totally demands fireworks & champagne I agree :) This one looks great, will be giving it a try - sounds so versatile too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, doesn't that look lovely. And it might be just the thing I need for an upcoming BBQ... thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Believe it or not I have not tried eating avocados! This dip of yours certainly looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. EEEEK!!! I've just finished dinner and I thought it was safe to make a foray into the food blog world...NOT!!! I could go and rustle this up right now...but I will wait for tomorrow...YUMMO!!! I find green food beautiful and this looks completely appealing to me. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds amazing to me and it looks bright and lovely. I love the subtle flavor anchovies give food and this sounds like a delicious way to use them. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yum! I'd definitely love it on bruschetta!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Count me in as a huge avocado fan-- especially lately. I love them. This looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can just imagine how good this would taste - even on a piece of toast.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my gosh, that does look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Leave out the anchovies and I would smother that on everything imaginable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Waw!! That avocado sauce looks the max!!

    I am so going to make it tonight!! I think I will serve it alongside grilled fish!

    MMMMMMMMMMMMM,...!

    ReplyDelete
  24. heavens, this looks so good, it makes me miss the avo tree i had in my garden growing up! i didn't eat the delicious things then (more fool me), but love them on everything now! yay for avos and delish sauces!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice! I haven't had much luck cooking with avocados, but I'm still trying. (Here on the east coast, it doesn't seem to come very naturally, and it's kind of a production just getting a ripe one from the store or getting one from the store ripe.) I would definitely give this a try. I wouldn't want to let it sit, of course, but I wonder if adding citrus juice would keep it from discoloring right away.

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator