Dearhearts, this is going to be a short post. When visiting my parents in Calitzdorp recently, my father brought out a tub of this homemade ice cream after dinner. You just have to try it to believe it.
Cardamom ice cream
1 tbsp cardamom seeds (about 2/3 cup cardamom pods), ground in a pestle and mortar
8 egg yolks
125g caster sugar
250ml double cream
1. Bring the milk to the boil in a pan and add the cardamom.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until foamy, then gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly.
3. Pour the mixture into a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, and cook, stirring, until it begins to thicken.
4. Add the double cream, mix well, then transfer to an ice-cream maker and freeze. If you do not have an ice-cream maker, pour the mixture into a shallow bowl and place in the freezer for about one hour, until it is beginning to solidify around the edges. Whisk it well with a fork, then return to the freezer. Repeat this process three times and then freeze until firm.
5. Serve with fresh mint, if you like.