Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cardamom ice cream



Dearhearts, this is going to be a short post. When visiting my parents in Calitzdorp recently, my father brought out a tub of this homemade ice cream after dinner. You just have to try it to believe it.

Amen.


Cardamom ice cream
For 6

500ml milk
1 tbsp cardamom seeds (about 2/3 cup cardamom pods), ground in a pestle and mortar
8 egg yolks
125g caster sugar
250ml double cream

1. Bring the milk to the boil in a pan and add the cardamom.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until foamy, then gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly.
3. Pour the mixture into a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, and cook, stirring, until it begins to thicken.
4. Add the double cream, mix well, then transfer to an ice-cream maker and freeze. If you do not have an ice-cream maker, pour the mixture into a shallow bowl and place in the freezer for about one hour, until it is beginning to solidify around the edges. Whisk it well with a fork, then return to the freezer. Repeat this process three times and then freeze until firm.
5. Serve with fresh mint, if you like.



23 comments:

  1. A big fat NOM! Cardamom is so underrated, but I love its flavour - especially in sweet things. Have you tried burfi with cardaomom? It is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to give this a try. Cardamom is such a wonderful flavor and wold be perfect in a creamy confection. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely ice cream perfume!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I say this is a grown-up ice cream! Must be nice to have it for alfresco dinner too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. cardamom is wonderful to use in ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can imagine how fragrant this ice cream is!I thought cardamons are only for cooking curries:P This is something new! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks just DIVINE.. I wish my dad made ice cream... will need to work on that..

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow this must have had the best flavor ever

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet pop you have. This is making me swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the color, you would expect mint flavor, but a pleasant surprise awaits....100% for dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds amazing - will be trying that once the sun shines in Ireland again

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanx for stopping by my space n ur encouraging words...!
    Yummy ice cream recipe with fascinating click...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a gorgeous photo. I happen to love cardamom so I know that I would love this ice cream as well. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cardamom is one of a curious ingredients this year. Incorporating it into ice cream only heightens the deliciousness of this spice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet this is heavenly!! I have lots of cardamom pods in my freezer...but I dread making ice creams with custard...curdling, ya know? Wish I could just have some of yours ;) ...and where in the world is Calitzdorp!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girlichef: Calitzdorp is a tiny little dorp ('town') in the Little Karoo in the Western Cape, South Africa. Robyn x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Robyn =) I love the sound of those names...just the word dorp makes me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waw!! Your cardamom ice cream looks splendid!


    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,..stunning colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow - how easy is THAT?! I love cardamom anyway and can only imagine how good this is as an ice cream flavour...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very unusual flavour, would love to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! The ice cream looks delicious. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator