Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ode to autumn: Cauliflower fritters


There's something about the light in autumn... It's less harsh than high summer light, which has a seering, bleaching quality. Autmun light is softer, more illuminating. It makes everything somehow sad and beautiful.

(I'm a poet trapped inside a writer's body — I don't care what my first-year lecturer said.)

And so it was that on the glorious autumn afternoon of this Saturday past, I decided to make these  cauliflower fritters. I'd just received my copy of Taste in the post and came apon Bill Granger's recipe therein.


There's something so essentially autumnal about this dish — I'm not sure if it's the colour, or the comforting, mildly spicy taste, but it's just so appropriate for this time of year. Served with garlicky yoghurt, thin slivers of crunchy red onion, a sprinkling of Maldon sea salt and a squeeze of lime juice... Gosh, I'm salivating as I type. Do try it — it's easy as pie and, if you're a veggie lover like me, dangerously addictive.


Cauliflower fritters
Serves 4

1 couliflower (about 600g), cut into florets
3 free range eggs, separated
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup cornflower
1/2 cup water
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
olive oil, for frying
red onion, finely sliced, for serving

For the garlic-yoghurt sauce, combine:
1/2 cup thick plain yoghurt
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Blanch the cauliflower florets in salted boiling water for 3 minutes, or until tender. Refresh under cold water, then roughly chop. Whisk the egg yolks and season to taste.
2. Add the cornflower, a little at a time, alternating with a little water, and whisk continually until the cornflower and water have been incorporated. Stir through the onion, cauliflower, spices and coriander, and set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites through the batter mixture, in two batches, using a metal spoon.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Drop 2 tbsp of batter at a time into the pan, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel.
5. To serve: Arrange the fritters on a platter. Drizzle with garlicky yoghurt, season to taste and serve with red onion slices.

12 comments:

  1. I wasn't always sure how to cook cauliflower, but saw the light today! Thank you for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this recipe - especially the cumin and paprika: never thought of adding these spices to cauliflower. I am definitely going to try this one! The roses are glorious in their silvery jug. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks levely, I've never had these before , n i know my family is going to love them when I make it for them. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Robyn!

    I made these last night & they were extremely tasty!!

    My husband & I loved these!!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cauliflower fritters look so perfectly golden and crispy! Just perfect with garlic-yoghurt sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks killa. I was ready to eat your roses, too, but that's another story. : D

    Light is, indeed, different depending on seasons and coordinates on globe. We are heading into summer here (where sunlight is glaring and golden), but there is something about the fall light that matches the change in temp (up here, at least.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had this flavor of fritter. It looks delicious with the cumin and smoked paprika. I can imagine the yoghurt sauce was excellent with your fritters. I'd love to try making these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those fritter must be delicious! I love the spices you used. Perfect with yoghurt and red onion slices!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. How gorgeous. I've never thought of something like this but it's a great way to enjoy caulis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They definitely look addictive, dangerously so. Great way to glam up the old trusty cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds yummy! I must try it to convince my step son that cauliflower can be tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well these look mighty tasty! I would have never thought to make cauliflower into a fritter!!! yum
    Thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator