Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ricotta gnocchi with lemon and thyme butter (and a lentil frittata)



I started making this ricotta gnocchi at about 8.30pm on Tuesday night, and we ate at around 10pm... The late start was due to too much wine and 'mucking about' (as my gran likes to say), and the late eating time was due to, well, more wine. I'm not entirely sure you needed to know that, but there it is.


I had recently become obsessed with the idea of making ricotta gnocchi after I saw it in an old issue of Donna Hay (I know, I know, I need to see other magazines). You see, I've never really understood the hype around gnocchi — the potato kind, that is. Whether this has to do with the cataclysmic temper tantrum I threw last time I tried to make potato gnocchi (the Guinea Pig is forbidden to ever speak of it),
or that I've just never tasted really good gnocchi, I don't know. But this ricotta version appealed to me, mainly because I love anything to do with ricotta, and secondly, the recipe just seemed too easy to be true. But it was true. (The pool of gorgeous melted butter didn't hurt its case.)

Then on Thursday, I made Molly Wizenberg's French-Style Warm Lentil Salad (I know, I know, I need to see other blogs). It was my new favourite dish before the gnocchi, and I've made it about three times over the last few weeks (I strongly urge you to try it just the way she presents it: with some gorgeous salami, gherkins, and crusty bread). The problem is, I always make way too much. Oh, of course I could just follow the exact quantity measurements, but what would be the fun in that?

So I had a few cups (about two) of this lentil salad in the fridge, and decided to make a frittata. I've never seen lentils in a frittata before, and I'm not sure why this is because they work really well. I cracked six beaten eggs into a bowl, grated in about half a cup (okay, maybe a whole cup) of Parmesan, a handful of chopped parsley and the lentils. Poured this into a pan and topped with bits of salami. It was ... delicious. If you ever have spare cooked lentils just lying around, not earning their keep, make this dish. We had it with a  green salad and some crusty (buttered) bread.


Ricotta gnocchi with lemon and thyme butter
250g ricotta cheese
½ cup finely grated Parmesan
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup plain (all-purpose flour)
¼ cup flatleaf parsley leaves, chopped
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Finely grated Parmesan, extra to serve

Lemon and thyme butter
80g butter
2 tsp thyme leaves
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
2 tsp lemon juice

1. To make the lemon and thyme butter, place the butter, lemon rind, thyme and juice in a small saucepan over low heat, and stir until the butter is melted. Set aside and keep warm.
2. Place the ricotta, Parmesan, egg, flour, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine.
3. Turn out the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 15cm long ‘rope’. Cut into 2cm lengths and press lightly with the back of a fork. Cook the gnocchi in batches in a large pot of salted boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in serving bowls. Spoon over the lemon butter and top with the extra Parmesan to serve. Serves 4.




20 comments:

  1. You know I've never made gnocchi. Your sounds fabulous with two of my favorite ingredients - lemon and thyme. What a clever way to use the leftover lentils by making a frittata.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my kitchen. It's nice to get to know you and see your lovely blog.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gnocchi dish looks fantastic and that fritatta too! Yummy food!

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn,
    the gnocchi ricotta looks delish,.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow looks wonderful and the cupcakes look so pretty great blog, will follow along thanks so much for visiting mine
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing is something I am going to have to try now! lips are watering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so happy to meet you! your blog is simply delightful! i'm following you now and i'm looking forward to read new posts!
    have a sweet week,
    justyna

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to beat a gorgeous dish of gnocchi, especially accompanied with a bottle of wine. These little beauties look mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had ricotta gnocchi but I definitively need to try it soon. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful blog!
    from an expat living in Rome and in Italy since forever

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi first time here! You have a beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was never much impressed with potato gnocchi either, it always seems sort of tasteless to me.

    But, like you, the ricotta gnocchi sounds outstanding! And add the Lemon Thyme Butter and you've got a winner of a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A georgous & ooh so tasty ricotta dish!! Lovely food,...

    Many greetings from Brussels, Belgium!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the frittata will be my dinner tonight - what a good idea to solve one's lentil-problem. and i completely share your orangette obsession - i've now officially read through the entire archive, and need to stop myself from doing it all again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look quite delicious - love your combination of lemon and thyme. Your photo is mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two beautiful meals that I would be happy to cook.

    I will definitely try the ricotta recipe someday. It's too elegantly easy to ignore.
    I think the hype over potato gnocchi comes fr/ the difficulty of handcrafting it well, and the awful, gummy stuff that comes frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love gnocchi! And don't worry, late eating happens a lot in our house (and yes, sometimes there ins wine involved!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lentil frittata? Such a great idea! And I've been meaning to make ricotta gnocchi for some time. Loos SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the sound of ricotta gnocchi, I'm in with this one, sound great.

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator