Thursday, February 11, 2010

Holy guacamole

 

I know. Guacamole — right? It's not exactly up there with beef bourguignon and lobster bisque… but it is pretty darned tasty if you're in the mood (and I get into the mood, oh, twice a week at least, especially if I’m hungover), and if it's made right.

Until a few years ago, I always thought of guacamole as something to be put up with at house-warmings and Mexican-themed birthday parties — it was either too watery (blegh), too chunky (no one will like you if you force them to bite down on a large chuck of raw onion), or brown (I'm sorry, it had to be said). I think it’s important to make sure you have really good corn chips (the handmade, unsalted kind) and really creamy avocados.

When the balance of garlic, onion, coriander, tomato and lemon juice is right, well it’s just gosh-darned delicious. I can’t think of anything better to share with friends over a few bottles of chilled rosé on a casual, lazy Sunday afternoon.


Guacamole
2 medium avocados, mashed
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large handful coriander, finely chopped
1 medium red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped (optional)
2 ripe plum tomatoes, finely chopped (I leave the seeds in
— it’s up to you)
Juice of 1 lemon

It’s pretty standard stuff: throw it all in a bowl and mix until pleasingly homogenised. Season to taste with plenty of Maldon sea salt, and serve with golden, crunchy corn chips. And rosé. Don't forget the rosé.






16 comments:

  1. LOVE me some avocados any which way!

    Going to have to go ahead and agree wholeheartedly with the cartoon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks wonderful my 18 month old loves this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at the title of this post. :) I love guac - I'll have to try your recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love guacamole, especially with chillies in it :o) And I love your blog, newly discovered!!

    I am busy organizing the first SA Food Bloggers Conference in Cape Town and hope you might be interested in attending. Here is the link for more information....it is a work in progress but the general information is all on there....

    http://sa-food-blogging-conference.blogspot.com/

    Do let me know if you you would like to book a seat. Thanx
    Colleen (collywolly50atyahoodotcodotuk)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't agree....it is up there with beef b.....and is much easier to pronounce too!!!!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE homemade guacamole! Yours looks delicious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love my gaucamole with a dash of sour cream. oh, and i _did_ end up making your lentil frittata, which was lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good guacamole *is* sacred. ; ) Love your red and fiery touches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ek stem! Niks lekkerder as homemade guacamole nie. Ek haat die mayo-agtige winkel weergawes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks delicious! i usually throw in some diced papaya in my guacamole and it adds and element of subtle sweetness that i love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that illustration, it's brilliant, well I'm about to have a cupcake!;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL - love the cartoon (although in my case it would probably be a crisp rather than a cookie!)! And a good guacamole is a wonderful thing - I would never doubt it. Leaving the avocado stone in the guacamole until just before serving is a way to keep it from going brown. No, I don't know how that works - it just does!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Georgous guacemole,...mmmmmmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum. Will have to try. Food blogs a good way to get up an appetite and CT food blogs even better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum..i have loads of avo's at the moment and a pkt of nacho's in the cupboard! Perfect, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator