Thursday, December 3, 2009

Smoked trout salad with dill dressing



My colleagues have a pet name for me: the food Nazi. I choose to believe it’s a term of affection born of a deep respect for my superior culinary acumen – and not because I am, perhaps, the fussiest, most derisive eater this side of the equator. (I hear there are soy- and wheat-intolerant vegan monks in Peru who are less pedantic about their food.)
Okay, I’m not that bad. But, well, I like what I like – I’m sure you know what I mean. I really can’t help wrinkling my nose when one of my coworkers opens a white polystyrene package containing something that, to me, can only be likened to roadkill in a bun. Sometimes I just have to leave the room. Is this rude? Is it self-important? (I confess: I really don’t care.)


This is a most agreeable salad – it's not terribly original, but I’d be delighted if one of my colleagues brought it in for lunch. I based it on Jamie Oliver’s Potato Salad with Smoked Salmon and Horseradish Crème Fraiche. I didn’t have any horseradish, though, and I wanted something more appropriate to a balmy summer evening, so I added petit pois (I don’t know why we don’t see them more in salad recipes – they are so sweet and gorgeously green) and loads of salad leaves. I think julienned asparagus would be a nice addition, too. We had a few slices of hot-buttered crusty bread on the side.

Smoked trout salad
Serves two as a main course

350g baby potatoes
120g petit pois
2 tbsp capers, drained
30g dill, chopped
Juice of one lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
3 heaped tbsp mayonnaise (preferably home-made)
200g salad leaves
200g smoked trout ribbons, sliced

Add the baby potatoes to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, or until almost done. Add the petit pois and cook for an extra 1 to 2 minutes (you want the peas al dente). Drain and run under cold water to cool. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine the capers, dill, lemon juice, olive oil  and mayonnaise, and season to taste. Mix in the potatoes and peas.
In a large salad bowl, toss the salad leaves with the poatato mixture, ensuring everything is well coated. Arrange the salmon ribbons on top and serve.

By the way, if you have a little extra time, read this great piece I found on the Guardian website this morning: 'Delia Smith: Why we still love her'.

6 comments:

  1. I must agree it was was delicious. Goes down a treat with some Roger Moore on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...what a waste of good appetite to consume convenience-cardboard...

    The salad makes me drool somewhat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salmon + anything = awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food delights me, and this looks like a fantastic 'must-try'. Thanks for the delicious looking recipe and the great laugh, I can picture the disgusting rubber roadkill in the polystyrene tub. Why would anyone fuel their bodies with the bad stuff?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that looks astonishingly good... and it looks refreshingly easy to put together too!

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator