Friday, November 27, 2009

Cauliflower and brown rice soup

Last night I wanted something light and tasty. I had some chicken stock in my freezer that I’d made a week or so ago, so I thought I’d make a soup. I trawled the isles at Woolies and ended up with chives, parsley, cauliflower, lemons, and artichokes. A further cupboard raid at home presented me with brown rice. I love brown rice in soups – it balloons up like pearl barley, and keeps its shape (i.e. it doesn’t turn the soup to mush overnight). The resultant recipe was surprisingly delicious, considering how basic it is. Obviously, the quality of the chicken stock is critical.


Cauliflower and brown rice soup
Serves 2

1.5 litres home-made chicken stock
1 handful chives, chopped
1 handful parsley, chopped
100g artichoke hearts, roughly chopped (optional)
Half a medium cauliflower, broken into small florets
200g rice, parboiled
Juice of one lemon

Bring the chicken stock to a simmer and add the rice. Allow to cook until the rice is tender, then add the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and serve (the cauliflower florets will cook very quickly – they should be tender by the time you’ve ladled the soup into bowls). It's very nice with a glass of Pierre Jourdan Tranquille Blush. But then I think everything is nice with a glass of Pierre Jourdan Tranquille Blush!

6 comments:

  1. I guess you haven't heard of the "Gooducken" which uses a goose instead of a turkey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks fresh, healthy and delicious. Very nice.

    Yes, turducken is quite popular for folks that are trying a little something different for the holidays :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, your soup looks sublime - I adore cauliflower in soups :) And although a turducken is an American invention, it's actually a very old idea - the European upper classes used to love stuffing things into one another and surprising the guests at the dinner table. There are all sorts of variations on te theme including this fascinating bit in Wikipedia:

    "The largest recorded nested bird roast is 17 birds, attributed to a royal feast in France in the early 19th century (originally called a Rôti Sans Pareil, or "Roast without equal") - a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an Ortolan Bunting and a Garden Warbler. The final bird is very small but large enough to hold just an olive; it also suggests that, unlike modern multi-bird roasts, there was no stuffing or other packing placed in between the birds. It appears illegal to make today as some of the species are endangered."

    Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness. There seems to have been a whole in my foodie education (Actually, I'm sure there are many). I guess the treatment of it in that Checkers ad - along with the name 'turducken' - really put me off. Thanks for edifying me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no way, I've ever thought of cauliflower is soup form!

    ReplyDelete

 
Afrigator